Delicious Vegetable Tempura.
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Yield: 1 -1/2 cups batter, enough for 4 cups of vegetables
- ¾ c. Argo® Corn Starch
- ¼ c. flour
- 1 tsp. Argo® Baking Powder
- 2-½ tsp. Garlic Salt
- 1-½ tsp. Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp. Fine Grind Black Pepper
- 1⁄8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- ½ c. water OR beer
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- Enough for deep frying Mazola® Corn Oil
- 4 c. cut-up vegetables, such as zucchini, carrots, onions and/or mushrooms
- Combine corn starch, flour, baking powder, garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Add water and egg; stir until mixture is smooth.
- Heat 3 to 4 inches of oil in a deep pot over medium heat to 350˚F.
- Dip vegetables into batter, stirring batter occasionally. Fry a few vegetables at a time, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
1-1/2 pounds raw, peeled shrimp can be substituted for the vegetables.