Delicious Summer Sangria.
- Total Time: 7 Hours, 10 Minutes
- Yield: 12 Servings
- 2⁄3 c. water
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 5 Whole Cloves
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 2 c. fresh strawberries, stemmed and halved
- 2 medium fresh lemons, thin sliced with rind on
- 3 medium fresh oranges, thin sliced with rind on
- 1 can (7 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2 bottles (750 ml each) Cabernet Sauvignon or pinot Noir wine
- 1 bottle (2 liters) ginger ale
- Heat water and sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes; remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Strain sugar syrup into large pitcher. Add strawberries, lemons, oranges and pineapples. Pour wine over fruit. Chill for a minimum of 6 hours. Remove fruit and add ginger ale just before serving. Use fruit to garnish, if desired.
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract may be substituted for the vanilla bean. Add the extract to sugar syrup after cooling.