You know what makes a little get-together even more special? Sweet and spicy roasted nuts. It’s a quick and simple recipe that is a really nice touch when you’re welcoming people into your home. Plus, making them ahead of time makes your house smell welcoming, and your neighbors might start wandering over to see what’s going on in your kitchen!
Since I’m the only one in my family that has been to culinary school, I’m typically the one that’s always in the kitchen working on whatever is for dinner. But, these sweet and spicy nuts are so easy that I can delegate them to my husband to put together. The best part is, he feels like he has been super helpful in the kitchen! You can use your favorite assortment of nuts, but I prefer a combination of cashews, walnuts, almonds and pepitas. I use egg whites and water to create a natural binding effect on the nuts with the spice mixture consisting of Spice Islands salt, cayenne pepper and ground cinnamon. The sweet and spicy flavors make for an interesting but welcome surprise as a pre- or post-dinner snack!
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Nuts
- 1 cup raw whole cashews
- 1 cup raw whole walnuts
- 1 cup raw whole almonds
- 1 cup raw pepitas
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Spice Islands Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon Spice Islands Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Spice Islands Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Spice Islands Ground Chipotle Chile
- Preheat the oven to 350 ºF, line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and set it aside.
- Combine the cashews, walnuts, almonds and pepitas in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Whisk together the egg white, water, sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, chipotle chile and cinnamon.
- Drizzle the wet mixture over the nuts and toss to combine, making sure they are evenly coated.
- Transfer the nuts to the baking sheet and spread in an even layer.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and roast for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the nuts from the oven and separate the nuts as they cool. Once they are completely cooled, transfer the nuts to an airtight container and serve as needed.