Chicken Tinga is one of my favorite things to make. It’s easy, it’s quite forgiving in that you don’t need to be too exact, and it has that unmistakable smoky flavor thanks to chipotle. Because it’s a shredded chicken recipe, it’s perfect in soft fluffy tortillas, inside enchiladas, or on top of fried corn tortillas, like a tostada. By adding a few Spice Islands spices you probably have in your pantry, this quick and delicious recipe can be made in no time.
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves
- 6 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced and divided
- 1 tsp Spice Islands Ground Cumin Seed
- 1 tsp Spice Islands Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Spice Islands Ground Coriander
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, undrained
- Spice Islands Pepper and Salt, to taste
- Optional: Top with pickled onions, a fresh crumbly Mexican cheese, Spice Islands Cilantro, salsa, or anything else you like!
- Place the chicken in a large pot. Add 1/4 cup sliced onions and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until the chicken is fully cooked and its juices run clear, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and let cool. Discard the skin and bones, and use a fork to shred the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the remaining onion, cooking until golden-brown.
- Place the peeled tomatoes in a blender or food processor and add all of the chipotle peppers, including the liquid in the can, garlic powder, cumin and coriander. Season with salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the blended mixture to a large pot over medium heat. Add the shredded chicken and cooked onions and cook until the chicken is hot, about 5 minutes.