I love Party Season. I get to see friends and family and all the familiar faces I don’t see regularly. What I love even more is that we’re all together with food and drink, which makes me love Party Season like nobody’s business.
This year we made a conscious effort to skip the formal seated meal in exchange for party foods that can be passed around and nibbled at will. We find it’s a great way to keep the party mood and conversation flowing.
While I always have cheese, crackers and nuts set out, we wanted to do a quick little meatball with a dipping sauce for the holidays. Of course this recipe works year round, you could easily substitute a different dipping sauce if cranberries aren’t in season.
Meatballs with Spicy Cranberry Sauce
Makes 15 1-ounce meatballs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup onion, small dice
- ½ cup celery, small dice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Sage
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Thyme
- 1 slice white bread crusts removed
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 12 oz ground turkey
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® Black Pepper, freshly ground
Spicy Cranberry Sauce
- 5 oz fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 sugar
- 2 tablespoons diced Jalapeño, seeded or unseeded.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over med-high heat, add onion, celery and garlic.
- Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sage and thyme, cooking 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl pour the milk over the slice of bread and let soak for a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Spray with cooking oil.
- In a mixing bowl, mix turkey, onion mixture, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze out as much milk as you can from the bread and tear it into pieces over the turkey mixture.
- Add lightly beaten egg white and with your hands blend the meat mixture.
- Use a 1oz scoop to make 15 meatballs.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and place in 400˚ oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with spicy cranberry sauce.
Spicy Cranberry Sauce
- Heat water and sugar in a sauce pan over medium high heat until boiling.
- Add cranberries and jalapeños, bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the cranberries have burst, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Serve room temperature.