As a mom of three young children I am always mindful of providing healthy snacks to pack in their school lunches. I find myself in a common yet familiar struggle many parents deal with when trying to convince my kids that homemade snacks, in fact, can taste better than store bought ones.
From popcorn to roasted vegetables, bold tasting seasonings can boost the flavor of any food you sprinkle it on. One of my favorite snacks to make is crispy roasted chickpeas. They are full of fiber and high in protein. The most common way to season this would be with salt and pepper. However, I love using Spice Islands® Garam Marsala Seasoning to boost the flavor profile several notches up. Add a little Spice Islands® Cayenne Pepper for some heat and suddenly this snack becomes very addicting because of the complexity of the seasoning blend.
Garam Marsala is a blend of spices originating in India, and using it enhances the flavor of food, adding a layer of complexity, which is pleasant and exotic in flavor but not overpowering – just in time for your holiday dishes.
Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Dry the chickpeas by rolling them around in a clean kitchen towel.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the oil, Garam Masala, salt and cayenne pepper.
4. Add the chickpeas and toss until coated.
5. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Transfer the chickpeas to the baking sheet and spread them out in a single layer.
7. Bake for 45 – 60 minutes, gently tossing every 15 minutes.
8. Chickpeas are ready when they are golden brown and crispy.
9. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the spiced chickpeas to cool before serving.