I’m currently writing this very, very fast. Why so fast? Because here in Southern California, we’re having a slight spell of chilly weather and rain, something we don’t see too much of. And the current weather makes this recipe all the more delicious. This Vanilla and White Chocolate Hot Chocolate takes a slight veer from traditional hot chocolate by using a base of premium white chocolate and Spice Islands Pure Vanilla Extract and can I tell you it’s just so utterly creamy and rich? I’m not sure I’ll be able to return to the standard cup of hot chocolate now that I’ve made this. And the vanilla whipped cream that goes on top? Heavenly. No matter what the weather.
VANILLA AND WHITE CHOCOLATE HOT CHOCOLATE
Serves 4 to 6
4 cups whole milk
1 cup cream
1 cup sugar
12 ounces premium white chocolate, shaved into small pieces
2 Tablespoons Spice Islands Pure Vanilla Extract
Vanilla Whipped Cream:
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon Spice Islands Pure Vanilla Extract
¼ unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
Shaved white chocolate, optional
1. Pour milk, cream and sugar into a medium sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
2. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves.
3. Slowly begin adding the white chocolate, whisking to prevent lumps.
4. Whisk the mixture until smooth.
5. Gently stir in the vanilla and continue stirring until all the white chocolate has melted and the mixture has slightly thickened.
6. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream, sugar, and vanilla, with a hand mixer on medium speed, until stiff peaks form.
7. Pour the hot chocolates into mugs and top with a large dollop of vanilla whipped cream and a light dusting of cocoa powder and or shaved white chocolate pieces. Serve hot.