Any firm white fish (such as halibut or swordfish) can be used for this traditional holiday offering! Use as an appetizer or light entree.
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 2 pounds mahi-mahi
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Jerk Seasoning Blend (see link to recipe below)
- 2 to 3 cups Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 each chayote squash,cored and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon Spice Islands Allspice, Whole
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Whole Black Pepper
Combine water and lime juice in a shallow dish. Wash mahi fillets in lime water; pat dry. Season both sides evenly with Jerk Seasoning Blend.
Heat 1-inch of oil in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish in single layer; reduce heat to medium and fry 4 to 6 minutes until fish is opaque and cooked through; turning once, half-way through.
Place cooked fish in a 13 x 9 glass baking dish; cool.
Place squash, onion, sherry, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, whole allspice, and black peppercorns in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer one minute. Pour hot mixture over fish. Cool, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours before serving.
Arrange fish and vegetables on a serving platter; flake fish with fork for ease in serving.
Jerk Seasoning Blend